#behind the scenes - 3





Sun, Oct 18, 2020 8:04 AM
            I was on my way to meet my pregnant wife on a rainy August, when they stopped me on the way. They were in a pick-up truck. Looking confused and surprised, I inquired what happened, what I did wrong, and they told me to shut up or anything I said will be used against me in the court of law. I tried to explain to them I was on my way to see my pregnant wife, when one of them leaped out of the truck and slapped me hard across the face. I immediately shut up. This was happening out in the open and nobody could do anything about it. They only stood aside and watched from a safe distance. I was asked by one of the officers inside the truck what was in bag, I told him it was my laptop and some baby clothes. He asked me to open the bag. I looked at him, I was nonplussed. Didn't he hear me? Maybe they think I am a yahoo boy, because of the laptop. I guess that was why I was stopped. Because they saw me with a laptop bag, they suspected I was into fraudulent activities. Obeying them without complaint, I opened the bag. The one close to me collected the laptop from me, opened it up, powered it on and started going through it.
            I stood by the street side. Impatiently waiting for them to get over this with. After a while, when they couldn't find anything. The one in the truck, he seem to be their leader. He asked me where the receipt for my laptop was. I told him I didn't carry it around, since I saw no reason to. He went ahead to tell me that I was a yahoo boy, and that if I knew I bought this laptop in a genuine way, I wouldn't have kept the receipt at home. He then ordered the officer on ground to grab me and throw me in the truck. Trying to resist, I started to beg them. Telling them I was sorry and that I wasn't a yahoo person. I was begging for a crime I didn't commit. It was funny and outrageous.
            They laughed at my plea and told me that if I wanted to escape this, I needed to pay them the sum of seventy thousand. I had up to hundred thousand in my account. It was for my wife and my baby. I wanted to explain to them that it was for my family, but I knew it was a waste of my time. So with regret cussing through my veins, I paid them. And immediately, they smiled at me, saying life is easy when you follow rules. They gave me back my laptop and drove away. I stood there, on the brink of tears. I started to head back to my wife, thinking sorrowfully of what I was going to tell her, and at the same time, glad I was alive. I have heard stories of others who didn't quite survive SARS brutalization. I was glad I survived but at the same time mad for being helpless. This is why we fight for what we are fighting for.



#ANewNigeria
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITYINNIGERIA

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

COVID-19 PANDEMIC AND ITS EFFECT ON NIGERIA.

WHAT IS POVERTY?

INNOVATION